The air is cold, so cold that it makes my whole body crack, said I the snow man. This is the kind of wind that can suck the life right out of you. The sun sits so high in the sky, its rays barely touch the ballet of shadows as it slowly sets on the distant horizon. It shall not make me look away. I shall manage to keep together.
My eyes are as black as coal, darkened from years of being burnt by demigods passing themselves off as suns of worship. My mouth clenched tight, my smile only a distant memory.
I was born amid the joyous shouts of loving parents and welcomed with open arms. And then the sun went down and the fall moon rose, so large, clear and beautiful in the blue air.
The nights protector has rose for I, Snowman. Gone is that impostor, be gone. Ha! I have cured him of staring! Back to his hiding, I shall take the spotlight. It is my time to shine. Only if I knew how to move from this stagnant place. I very much seek a new horizon, if I could. I would run, yonder, so fast the ice would melt under my feet. But I don't understand it! I want too, but I can't run.
An old yard dog bellows at I Snowman, be away! Go now! It's voice hoarse from years of abuse of alcohol and smoke. His mouth rotted away, only his gums sneer. His words become more slurred with each utterance. Run now or the sun will return and melt you away. Like last winter and the winter before.
I don't understand you, old dog, I shall not run, that thing up their, the moon I mean knows no such concept. You may think the moon runs, quickly from side to side, but alas it always reappears from the other side.
You know nothing at all, barked the dog. But then you are only made of frozen water, your not really solid, just pretending. The moon shall not protect, it will only tease you with that you shall never obtain. The sun will return again and wash you away into the gutter. I can feel the change in the weather mocked the hound, for my hind legs twitch in anticipation.
I Snowman can't make head or tails of this dogs banter. All I know he is talking about something I disagree with. The sun is not my friend, as he calls it his, that I know. That I feel too.
Go away, go away, barked the dog, again, he chased his tail like he always does, then crept back into his cage.
The weather is getting worse, a think damp fog rolled over the hills. With it the sun, brought forth an icy wind and snow. Like some conquering army, these horseman rolled down into the valley, covering the trees and bushes with a whorish blush of frost. I Snowman found the splendor in the day. The ice made everything shimmer like a forest made of diamonds, and every bare twig seemed to come to life in wreathes made of lace. Snow danced on every twig. A tree swayed in unison with its wind of life partner. And when the sun shone through, the sun lit up in thousands of tiny lights, like a carpet bomb of white light.
This is beautiful said Blue Jay, who was joined by Cat as they settled next to I Snowman. Spring is on its way, said Blue Jay as her eyes sparkled in reflection from the snow.
And as we know you Snowman cannot be in Spring, said the Cat as he pointed to I, that just cannot be.
The Blue Jay laughed, pointing of I Snowman, asked about the Old Dog. You've been here longer than me, do you know him.
I Snowman sneered, should I! Oh yes, chimed Cat, We have thrown him a bone, so he does not eat us. "Gwaf!", scowled I, What are you two, a couple of kiss asses, you are a disgrace to your kind, "Be gone away from me! Dog arose from his slumber, riled by the disturbance. "They belong to me, I am their master!" retorted the dog. You where born not like me, you cannot know as much as I, I can see that in you. I have age and lived a hard life. I do not live in a house, I live here in the cold fastened to a chain. Away! Away!
The cold can be refreshing, said I Snowman. Please do not rattle your chain, it jars my very soul.
I told you to go away, barked the dog. I do not sit in a chair covered by my master. And enjoy the lap of luxury. Having my nose wiped with borrowed cloth. I am too big for that, I am my own master. I do not seek big cushions if silk, and food of the finest. Ah! I dream of warm fire to wash away the days pains.
A fire would be beautiful, but I am afraid it would consume me. I Snowman became lost in thought, thinking about a black hearth glowing from the fire within. Black like me within. I Snowman felt quite strange, an odd feeling came over me, I knew not what it meant, but you have to be a snowman to understand.
I Snowman looked up from my daydream and asked the dog "Why do you choose this life of misery, why did you leave the comfort of your home. I wish too, replied the old dog, "Society has cast me out, I bit the hand of man, because they dare to take the bone that I gnaw on from my mouth. They chain me too this post so that I cannot run, and I have lost my voice from the constant struggle to be heard. Go away! I wish not to talk!
I Snowman was no longer listening to him. I was yearning for the comfort of shelter and the fire within.
What a strange sensation, crackling within me! Will I never feel the warmth? Is it just a flight if fancy? I must act to fulfill my dreams.
"You will never get there!" said Dog, "You will be burned again"
If I stay out here with you, I am as good as gone anyway, I must go. I can endure it no longer, said I, how beautiful is the fire, it beckons me with its siren of flame.
It is a terrible dichotomy for I Snowman, and dogs alike. Settling for the cold comfort of certainty, but yearning for the fire of the unknown.
The dog continued to bark, "Go away! Go away!, the weather will change". The weather doesn't change, it only gets warmer. Those who remain stagnant thaw and wash way, only to be forgotten.
As it warms, and I Snowman decrease. If I remain silent and do nothing I will be no more than a pile of coal and water. Being picked at by Blue Jay and Cat. Curse it the infallible taunt :I told you so" I cuts through even the heartiest soul, like a dagger aimed right for the heart.
Dog continues to shout "Go away! Go away!" I understand you longing, the fire is fueled by coal, like the orbs in your head, you yearn for them to glow.
Winter will soon be over, green will soon cover the fields of diamonds, willows will stretch out, Robin will return to build her nest in the trees bountiful canopy. "Come out dear sun, come out!"
And at that tome, I Snowman realized the message of the fire, listen to the dogs and you will wash away and be forgotten all fir their lazed amusement. Embrace the flames that fan the winds of change and you shall be carried towards the light of the horizon.
With that I Snowman embraced the hearth and became melted into a puff of steam which quickly cast adrift. Before he left he reminded dog, "Don't try to snow the snowman".
No comments:
Post a Comment