Sunday, December 17, 2006

BORN UNDER THE AZURE MOON

BORN UNDER THE AZURE MOON

BY

KENDALL OLIPHANT

FADE IN:

EXT. THE TOWN OF AZURE IS ESTABLISHED - DAY

THE TOWN OF AZURE, ALBERTA IS BEAUTIFULLY DEPICTED IN THIS OPENING SCENE.THE EYE FOLLOWS DOWN A STRETCH OF THE TRANS-CANADA HIGHWAY BETWEEN EDMONTON AND CALGARY.MOVING PAST A LOGGING TRUCK, WE EXIT AT THE ONLY OFF RAMP AND ENTER THE TOWN.A HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL GAME IS IN PROGRESS, FURTHER DOWN A ROW OF TOWN HOUSES FRAME A WORKING CLASS NEIGHBOURHOOD.MANY CHILDREN PLAY ON THE LAWN AND TREE LINED STREET.

EXT. TRISTIAN NARRATES A FLASHBACK - DAY
(TRISTIAN, OLDER TRISTIAN)

Twelve year old TRISTIAN listens to a radio leaning against the garage door.Tristian play acts the role of a major league pitcher.

TRISTIAN
(12 years of age)
Bottom of the ninth, two outs, Ainsley checks the runner at third, the pitch, strike three, the Yankees have won the World series, Tristian Ainsley, the rookie was magnificent

OLDER TRISTIAN
My name is Tristian Ainsley and this is my story.I'm eighteen going on forty.I say that because I've been the man of the family since the age of twelve.Before that I was content with throwing rocks at the garage, dreaming about pitching for the Yankees some day

CUT TO:

INT. TRISTIAN ATTENDS PUBLIC SCHOOL - DAY
(TRISTIAN, MRS BRACKENRIDGE, OLDER TRISTIAN)

Twelve year old Tristian cleans the chalk brushes while his teacher MRS.BRACKENRIDGE

MRS BRACKENRIDGE
Thanks for helping me Tristian

TRISTIAN
No problem Mrs. Brackenridge

OLDER TRISTIAN
When I wasn't the MVP of my fantasy world, I was Tristian the Christian at Azure Public School.I got that nickname because I was some what of a teachers pet

EXT. TRISTIAN'S VIEW POINT ON THE COOL KIDS - DAY
(TRISTIAN, TEASED BOY, BULLY #1, BULLY #2, OLDER TRISTIAN)

As Tristian cleans the brushes, two older boys bully a smaller child

TEASED BOY
Gimme it!

BULLY #1
Come get it pussy!

BULLY #2
Aw look he's going to cry

OLDER TRISTIAN
While the cool kids where out terrorizing everyone, I was cleaning Mrs Brackenridge's chalk brushes.The truth was, it wasn't that I was anti-cool, it was the fact that I knew if I ever got caught doing what ever cool kids do, my mom would knock me in the mouth

CUT TO:

INT. MRS AINSLEY IS PASSED OUT ON THE COUCH - DAY
(OLDER TRISTIAN)

Tristian's mom lies passed out the couch of the families modestly decorated home. An empty bottle of booze lies on the coffee table

OLDER TRISTIAN
Oh that is my mom, the one on the couch, that day wasn't a good day.Mom didn't have too many good days, but when she did myself and my brother and sister got to go to the city to shop at the big malls

CUT TO:

INT. THE AINSLEY'S SHOP AT THE MALL - DAY
(KEVIN, LILLIE, MAUREEN, TRISTIAN)

MAUREEN pushes an infant LILLIE in a stroller as an eight year old Tristian and six year old KEVIN bug her for a toy car

TRISTIAN
Mom! You have got to see this car!

KEVIN
Yea mom it's cool!

MAUREEN
How much?

KEVIN
Fifty bucks that's all

TRISTIAN
That's a good deal, honest

MAUREEN
Oh all right, show it to me

TRISTIAN
Those where the fun days, mom was a lot of fun, she was more like a big sister to us, we could get her to buy us anything.Those fun days where far and few between

CUT TO:

INT. THE KIDS PLAY QUIETLY AS MAUREEN WATCHES TV AND DRINKS - DAY
(KEVIN, LILLIE, TRISTIAN)

Twelve year old Tristian and ten year old Kevin play checkers and watch a five year old Lillie.Maureen lies on the couch watching the Jerry Springer Show in a drunken state

TRISTIAN
Most days mom would drink a fifth of scotch before noon and finish off the rest of the day with a couple of six packs while watching Jerry Springer.Jerry was god in our household, no one spoke while he was on.All those mixed up families had nothing on us

CUT TO:

INT. PAUL TELLS OF HIS LATEST IDEA OVER DINNER - NIGHT
(PAUL, KEVIN, TRISTIAN)

The children twelve, ten and five sit around the dinner table listening to their father (PAUL) tell of his latest idea for an invention

PAUL
Listen Tristian in thirty years everyone will flip a light switch and remember the name Paul Ainsley

KEVIN
Only if their house burns down
(the boys laugh)

TRISTIAN
Dad would come home around five, talk about his latest invention, that he was sure would revolutionize the world and make him millions

INT. PAUL YELLS AT MAUREEN - NIGHT
(MAUREEN, PAUL, TRISTIAN)

CUT TO:

The mood of around the table changes drastically as Paul launches into Maureen for her drinking

TRISTIAN
And then launch into my mother for not cleaning the house.By seven o'clock, mom had barely enough strength to crawl into bed and bring an end to another day of misery

PAUL
Christ sakes Maureen! What do you do around here all day! Look at this mess!

MAUREEN
Paul, I don't want to argue.I have a headache.I am going to bed
(exits)

PAUL
Hung over you mean! Tristian do the dishes, I've got some paperwork to do

Exits

CUT TO:

INT. TRISTIAN ASSUMES THE PARENTING ROLE - NIGHT
(LILLIE, TRISTIAN)

Twelve year old Tristian washes the dishes and keeps an eye on Lillie with humorous results

TRISTIAN
I then spent the next three hours clearing the dinner table, scrubbing the pots that my five year old sister Lillie used to create her latest delicacy, dog treats and ketchup.At least old Rex was getting a well rounded diet

CUT TO:

INT. TRISTIAN REMINDS KEVIN OF HIS HOMEWORK - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN, KEVIN)

Tristian leans over Kevin's shoulder and picks up a math book and reminds him of his test the next day.Kevin is more interested with drawing

TRISTIAN
Kevin, you have a trig test tomorrow and you haven't even looked at the book

KEVIN
Math sucks!

TRISTIAN
Then it was off to trying to get my ten year old brother to understand that math was as important as drawing semi-nude disproportionate women, you know the ones you see in adult comic books.Kevin couldn't get how trig was going to be useful to him in getting a job, in his own words,

KEVIN
I don't need to know the root of sixty four too own a tattoo parlour

CUT TO:

INT. TRISTIAN GOES OFF TO FIND TIME FOR HIMSELF - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN)

Tristian walks up the stairs and is greeted by Rex wearing a Tutu, he removes it and walks towards his bedroom

TRISTIAN
Anyway, after I got Kevin to realize the wonders of fractions and how they related to art and got one of Lillie's costume ideas off the dog, it was time for myself

INT. TRISTIAN LAYS OUT HIS PLAN TO BETTER HIMSELF - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN)

Tristian sits on his bed and takes out a journal and ledger from a lock box, kept in the drawer of the night stand.He removes a small sum of money from his pocket and places it in the book, writes down the total in the ledger and replaces it and the lock box back into the drawer

TRISTIAN
For an hour a day, the house was totally silent, almost surreal.Like an old horror movie just before the hero finds his parents down in the basement with their heads cut off.Those sixty minutes a day where like what Buddhists call Zen.Everything made sense.Every night for a year I plotted every step on my journey to personal enlightenment.The day I could finally be free from this death trap.I saved every dime I made from my paper route and the fifty bucks a week Mr. Gibbs gave me for walking his dog.When I turned thirteen I had amassed the small fortune of six thousand, two hundred and forty dollars and fifty three cents.Enough for a one way ticket for me and my brother and sister to go Toronto and live with my Aunt Louise and Uncle Fred.I hoped during this time, my dad could set aside his plans for putting a nuclear reactor in every bodies home by the year twenty thirty and help mom get sober and save their marriage

FADE OUT

FADE IN:

INT. AN UNCONVENTIONAL AINSLEY CHRISTMAS - DAY
(MAUREEN, LILLIE, TRISTIAN)

Early Christmas day, Maureen leads the kids 13,11 and 6 over to the tree

LILLIE
Mommy! I cant wait! Where is daddy?

MAUREEN
I don't know, but you can open one gift each

TRISTIAN
My planned trip to salvation came to a crashing halt on Christmas day, just after my thirteenth birthday.While other kids awoke to the latest fad, we awoke to a note from my dad, stuck in the Christmas tree

INT. MAUREEN IS DEVASTATED BY THE NOTE - DAY
(MAUREEN, PAUL, TRISTIAN, LILLIE, KEVIN)

Tristian removes the note left by Paul and hands it to Maureen who reads it out loud

TRISTIAN
Look mom dad left a letter

MAUREEN
To Lillie you are too young to understand, it is not that I don't love you but things are tough between your mom and me, for now I need to be alone, love dad.Ps, I hope you like the barbie doll

Maureen begins to cry and stops reading, she hands the gift to a confused Lillie

TRISTIAN
It will be all right Mom, here I'll finish the letter. To Kevin, please help your brother take care of Lillie and your mom, even though I don't understand your art, I realize potential when I see it, here is some money for supplies

Kevin clutches the money with a look of disdain

PAUL
Tristian, I have watched you grow into a man with pride, I know if things where different, we would be side by side in sales down at the office, I can see it now, our own office, Ainsley and son.To Maureen I'm sorry, but twelve years of your alcoholic rants about how I took you away from your family in Calgary and moved you two hundred miles to the middle of no where to sell heating supplies, ruined your beauty queen figure and saddled you with three kids from hell.In fact, someday when you get yourself some treatment you will realize, if I hadn't met you, you would still be in Calgary entering every beauty pageant from Miss Western Saloon to Miss Soya Bean.The truth is your dream of representing Alberta at the Miss Canada pageant was as far gone as your girlish looks.I saw potential in getting out of Calgary and opening up an office in Azure, away from the glut in the city.We both agreed coming here was a good idea, it's only a two hour drive to see your family if you still believe a convict brother and a tax cheat father are good influences on your children.I mean you well, the kids are smart, Kevin will get over his fascination with death, Lillie has the spark in her eye that you used to have and don't worry about our little trist, his brains will get him far.Good luck Maureen, I'm sorry it had to be this way.Love Paul

Maureen is consoled by her children

FADE OUT

FADE IN:

EXT. AZURE SIX YEARS LATER - DAY
(TRISTIAN)

AZURE HAS GROWN MODESTLY AND HAS BECOME KNOWN AS A POPULAR STOP FOR TRUCKERS AND BUSINESS MEN TRAVELLING BETWEEN CALGARY AND EDMONTON.MAIN STREET IS FULL OF LOCALS AND VISITORS SHOPPING

TRISTIAN
Well that was six years ago, I still live hear in Azure population ten thousand, the gate way to Big Sky Country, more accurately the half way rest stop for truckers and lost business men.My business plan wasn't a complete failure, it just needed some restructuring

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DAN, TRISTIAN, OLDER TRISTIAN)

TRISTIAN INTRODUCES US TO DAN MORLEY, AN EX-COP, AND NOW CAFE OWNER WITH BIGGER DREAMS FOR HIS BUSINESS AND LIFE

DAN
(Ringing the counter bell)
Pick up Tristian, eggs over

TRISTIAN
Got it

OLDER TRISTIAN
Dan Morley, we get along great, so great in fact, he's intrusted me with the books, he plans to sell the diner in five years and retire and wants me to take it over

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - NIGHT
(DAN, TRISTIAN)

Tristian narrates the history of the cafe as he helps Dan clean up

DAN
This old place has seen many famous people walk through the doors in the last thirty years

TRISTIAN
Dan's right the walls are covered with pictures of the likes of Stomping Tom and Ronny Hawkings, oh and that guy who played Mr. Whipple, although the handwriting on Jerry Lee Lewis' picture looks pretty suspect

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DOUGLAS, TRISTIAN)

TRISTIAN INTRODUCES US TO DOUGLAS JACKSON, A GUY WITH A TROUBLED PAST WHO DAN TOOK PITY ON AND TRIES TO HELP.DOUGLAS SEEMS TO BE UP TO HIS OLD HABITS AS HE LEANS IN THE KITCHEN DOORWAY TALKING ON THE PHONE.

DOUGLAS
Yea, great, how about fifty bucks a piece, I'll get you five by Friday, look got to go

Places the phone back on the cradle and resumes sweeping

TRISTIAN
If Dan thinks of me as his golden child, then the bastard child of his diner family has to be Douglas over their.Douglas Jackson, or Jaks, as he likes to be called.A name that was given to him during his many stints in Juvenile detention for auto theft.Mr.Morley has a soft spot for helping kids, he's got his hands full with Doug.

INT. KITCHEN OF BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DAN, TRISTIAN)

IT'S EARLY MORNING IN THE CAFE AND THE PREP WORK IS IN PROGRESS.TRISTIAN AND DAN TALK OVER BUSINESS WHILE DOUG PREPARES A POT OF CHILE

DAN
Thanks Tristian, I wish I had your head for figures, now if I didn't have to worry about everything disappearing out the door with Doug, I would be a happy man

TRISTIAN
But he does make one mean pot of Chile

DAN
That reminds me, excuse me

Dan exits

DAN
Hey Douglas, you better make extra if your buddies are coming in tonight

INT. BLUE MOON KITCHEN - DAY
(TRISTIAN, DOUGS FRIEND, DAN, DOUGLAS)

A FRIEND OF DOUG drops by with some money from a questionable business transaction, interrupting his work

TRISTIAN
Doug's an excellent short-order cook, he learned his trade working in a logging camp in BC.If it wasn't for Doug and his trucking buddies this place would be dead.The problem is some of his publicity has more to do with hot radios than hot Chile

DOUGS FRIEND
Hey Doug you back their? I got some money for you

DAN
This better be legit

DOUGLAS
It's cool Douglas exits leaving Dan shaking his head.Muffled words are exchanged between Douglas and his buddy

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

EXT. TRISTIAN'S LOFT - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN)

TRISTIAN PULLS UP INTO THE DRIVEWAY OF HIS LOFT.A SMALL ONE BEDROOM SPACE OVER HIS LANDLORDS GARAGE

TRISTIAN
Well this is my place.It's not much, only one bedroom, but it's clean and cheap.I rent this from Mr. and Mrs. Gibbs who have been married for forty-five years and been like family to me.

INT. TRISTIAN'S LOFT - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN)

Tristian enters his apartment, removes his sweaty shirt and places it on a weight bench.Upon sitting on the couch a small cat jumps up to greet him

TRISTIAN
The apartments small and still has the faint odour of pot from that time Walters' grandson used the apartment as a grow operation but it's comfortable.I describe my decorative tastes as shabby sheik, industrial, the perfect balance between comfort and form.A pull out couch, stove and fridge, that's all I need.Between the diner and a couple nights down at the community hall taking on line business courses from the University of Alberta, throw in a little family time and this lumpy sofa feels like heaven

INT. TRISTIAN'S LOFT - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN, OLDER TRISTIAN)

Tristian talks to his mom on the phone

TRISTIAN
Sure, I would love to, how about after I get off work on Sunday? Is Lillie coming? Great, I've got some new ideas for her, bye, I'll see you then, love you

OLDER TRISTIAN
I talk to my mom on a regular basis, she's doing okay, she finally decided to go AA, which has been an up hill battle for her.It isn't that she lacks the will power, the problem is the meetings are held over the local bar.She falls off the cart now and then, but she's receiving some good counseling' and help from her friends down at the Hydro company

CUT TO:

INT. HYDRO COMPANY - DAY
(MAUREEN, TRISTIAN)

Maureen converses with her boss as she finishes typing a report for him

TRISTIAN
Mom dusted off her key boarding skills and got a job as a secretary down at the Hydro company three years ago.Her bosses are so impressed with her, they say she could be promoted to accounts receivable soon

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. KEVIN'S HIGH SCHOOL - DAY
(CALCULUS TEACHER, KEVIN, TRISTIAN)

Kevin sits in his calculus class looking bored, drawing, his Calculus teacher grows impatient

TRISTIAN
Kevin is fifteen now, still a bit compulsive, but he puts his hyperactive nature to good use.He failed grade nine calculus last year, but with a little help from a tutor he managed to raise his grade to a bee this year.Kevins' problem was that he was more interested in the female figure than trig figures

CALCULUS TEACHER
Mr. Ainsley I don't wish to interrupt your efforts to obtain Miss Harris' phone number but could you please try to pay attention, so what are the angles that are formed in this isosceles triangle?

KEVIN
36,no 26,no wait 36

CALCULUS TEACHER
Nice try Kevin, oh and good luck in the art contest

TRISTIAN
Oh well, old habits die hard

EXT. KEVIN'S FOOTBALL PRACTICE - DAY
(KEVIN, FOOTBALL TEACHER, TRISTIAN)

CUT TO:

Kevin hits a tackling dummy, the COACH claps in encouragement

FOOTBALL TEACHER
Great Kevin, but keep your shoulder square, you are rolling to the left

TRISTIAN
The gym teacher convinced him to try out for the football team, noticing Kevin was a natural at what ever he did, as long as he had someone to guide him.Kevin even made first string

CUT TO:

INT. KEVIN'S ART CLASS - DAY
(ART TEACHER, KEVIN, TRISTIAN)

Kevin's art teacher looks through his portfolio and gives him some much needed constructive criticism as Kevin looks on

ART TEACHER
Most of these are excellent Kevin, but you need to watch your proportions, this is a serious art show not an interview for a tattoo parlour

TRISTIAN
As for his art teacher, Kevin's drawings give the women fits.She sees the potential in his work, so much, that she has entered Kevin in an art contest that is usually open to only senior art students.The top prize is a one year scholarship to the top art school in Alberta.Kevin has a real chance, that's if his idea of American Gothic stops including Pamela Anderson

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. DRESS SHOP - DAY
(LILLIE, MAUREEN, TRISTIAN)

Lillie stands in front of a full length mirror in a blue silk brides maids dress.Maureen tries to convince her that she looks good in the dress, Lillie isn't buying it

MAUREEN
It looks fine Lillie

LILLIE
Are you kidding me, I look like something out of the 1800's, I'm not wearing this

MAUREEN
Well, you are not wearing a mini skirt and a midi drift shirt, you are not going to a wedding looking like a hooker

LILLIE
(Fidgeting)
Okay, but I can change out of the shoes after right?

MAUREEN
After!

TRISTIAN
Lillie, she's eleven and entering women hood in traditional Ainsley style, and screaming.She dressed it what you might call trailer trash sheik. Britney Spears meets Elmer Fudd

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. CHURCH WEDDING - DAY
(LILLIE, MAUREEN, TRISTIAN)

Maureen and Lillie sit in a church pew, everyone is elegantly attired except for Lillie who insisted on dressing in her own style

TRISTIAN
Last year Mom and Lillie went to our second cousins wedding wearing a blue silk dress my mom spent a hundred and fifty bucks on.Lillie decided it looked to girlish and so she cut the frills off.The result was a dress that looked like the one worn in the Bride of Frankenstein.

INT. AINSLEY HOME - DAY
(LILLIE, TRISTIAN, MOHAWK)

CUT TO:

Lillie sits in front of a poodle puppy, playing and talking to it as she bathes it

TRISTIAN
She says after high school she's going to open her own dog grooming business, oh the dog, Rex is gone to doggie heaven, probably sitting up there laughing.Lillie's new project is a toy poodle named Queen Arabella Pendleton Ainsley, Queenie for short.Queenie is the neighbourhood trend setter.She's the only dog sporting a pink mohawk.

The poodle jumps out of the tub and runs down the stairs Lillie follows

LILLIE
Wait Queenie! I still have to rinse you

FADE OUT

FADE IN:

INT. PAUL'S OFFICE - DAY
(PAUL, TRISTIAN)

Paul tries to convince the product manager at head office on an idea of his for a new product he has developed

PAUL
Got the report right here, listen Bob, I want to talk to you about this idea I have for a new product.It's a finishing rod with a built in alarm and fish sensor.Yea, really, you see, the guy fishing, puts the rod into a holder on his belt and clips a tension sensor onto the line that has an alarm built in.A fish grabs the line, the sensor triggers the alarm, the fisherman wakes up and reels in his bounty.I call it the Mobby Getter and how about this for a slogan, now you don't have to tell the story of the one that got away.Really! Thanks, Yea sure we will talk about it later.Bye

TRISTIAN
Dad, he's still in sales, he moved to Grand River and became the valleys number one sales men of home and office equipment.Last year the company introduced a phone head set that had a light attached, dad says the idea was his, anyway dad sold over three hundred units of it too Alberta Hydro

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(TRISTIAN)

The cafe's busy, a few patrons notice the tow truck hauling a blue BMW pulling into the lot of the garage next door.Other patrons notice the tall, lanky blonde in a business suite, stepping out from the passenger side of the truck

TRISTIAN
Now, this isn't a poor kid, woe is me story, it's about a hurricane that blew into Azure last summer.Big deal right, well let me tell you this hurricane was tall, blonde, blue eyed and intelligent.Her storm nearly levelled this town

EXT. PARKING LOT OF AZURE TOWING - DAY
(PHIL, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

PHIL the tow truck driver an average size man, steps from the cab wiping his hands with a rag and pounds on the garage door

PHIL
Open up! Come see what I got!

Diana stands to the side looking uncomfortable and mildly annoyed

TRISTIAN
This storm went by the name Diana. Appropriate, for she was heaven sent, Diana, goddess of the moon.Now you know all the players of this story, lets begin

EXT. PARKING LOT OF AZURE TOWING - DAY
(DIANA, PHIL)

DIANA looks like a fish out of water.She keeps a respectable distance from Phil, out of fear of getting grease on her business suit.Phil not accustomed to bringing BMW's tries to explain the situation this puts him in.

DIANA
So look can you fix it?

PHIL
Sure, but it will take at least a week

DIANA
A week! For what?

PHIL
Look honey, if you haven't noticed, this isn't Japan, we don't get many BMW's in here, I'm going to have to order the parts

DIANA
Look, Phil! First of all, I'm not your honey, second of all, this cars from Germany, it's a BMW XRC, I had it specially ordered from the factory in Dusseldorf

PHIL
Dusse what?

DIANA
Never mind, here call my mechanic in Calgary, he will tell you how to fix it

PHIL
Look honey, I've been fixing cars since I was twelve, no European car is getting the best of me

DIANA
Sorry buddy, but you and Igor in their aren't going to experiment on my car, this cost $65,000,now call

PHIL
Yes mam

DIANA
(Frazzled and tired)
Is there a place I can get something to eat?

PHIL
Right over there, the Blue Moon Cafe, the best burger in town

DIANA
Great thanks, I'll check back later

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Diana enters the cafe, removes her sun glasses and gives a mild look of disgust.She sits down on one of the fifties style bar stools that sit in front of the counter.Tristian busily clears the counter of dirty dishes two stools over

DIANA
Excuse me can I get a menu here?

TRISTIAN
Sorry, we are a little busy today, what can I get you?

DIANA
(Sarcastically)
A menu?

TRISTIAN
(Taken by Diana's looks)
I'm sorry sure, here, the salmon sandwich is todays special

DIANA
Sockeye? Or Coho?

TRISTIAN
Canned? Dolphin free?
(Smiles)

DIANA
(Smiles back)
Sounds good, no mayo though, just a bit of oil

TRISTIAN
Sure, do you want fries or salad?

DIANA
A small garden salad, no dressing and a wedge of lemon

TRISTIAN
I'll bring it to you?

TRISTIAN EXITS

INT. CAFE KITCHEN - DAY
(DAN, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Dan notices Tristian's admiration of Diana and gives him some encouragement

DAN
So what's her name?

TRISTIAN
I don't know, but she's certainly not from Azure
(long pause)

DAN
Earth to Tristian, did she order anything?

TRISTIAN
(Distracted)
Order? Oh sure, the salmon

DAN
Gimme the cheque before you fall down, go talk to her

TRISTIAN
About what! I doubt she follows sports

DAN
Go! Offer her a cup of coffee, something, anything, now

Tristian nervously laughs and exits

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian nervously makes small talk with Diana

TRISTIAN
So are you in town for anything?
(grimaces)
Of course not

DIANA
Look I don't bite, relax, you look as if you never seen a girl before

TRISTIAN
Not like you

DIANA
How am I different?

TRISTIAN
The ones my age are into Britney Spears, the older ones already have two kids

DIANA
What's your name?

TRISTIAN
Tristian, Tristian Ainsley

DIANA
Nice to meet you Tristian, my names Diana Slater, I was on my way back to Calgary from Edmonton when my car broke down

TRISTIAN
The BMW out there, wow! That must of cost a fortune, sorry I..

DIANA
I'm not rich or anything, the NHL provides it for me, I work for Flames as one of their Western Hockey League talent scouts

TRISTIAN
Sounds like a great job

DIANA
If you mean being on the road for seven days a week, motel rooms and greasy spoons, sure, I can't complain Douglas walks over carrying Diana's order interrupting the conversation

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DOUGLAS, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Douglas always seizing an opportunity, blows by Tristian and lumbers over Diana.As he places the order in front of Diana he deliberately drops the


napkin beside her.Diana turns her self to the side and graciously picks up the napkin aware of Doug's ploy.Douglas takes the opportunity to look down her top


DIANA
Real mature

DOUGLAS
So what's your name baby?

DIANA
This babes name is Diana and my first degree black belt says I can kick your ass

DOUGLAS
Ooh, I love a women who plays hard to get

DIANA
Oh by the way did I mention my Dad was a police Sergeant in Calgary?

DOUGLAS
Excuse me

DOUGLAS EXITS, TRISTIAN RE-ENTERS

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DOUGLAS, TRISTIAN, DIANA)

Tristian feels compelled to apologise for Douglas.Diana shows her people skills and tries to find a reason for Douglas behaviour

TRISTIAN
Sorry that's Jax

DIANA
Is that what he does all day?

TRISTIAN
(Smiling)
Doug Jackson, he did time out in BC for grand theft, he came here after he got fired from a logging camp

DIANA
What did he do?

TRISTIAN
He says they tried to frame him for a bunch of fires that where set, but I think he was involved in selling drugs to some of the loggers, small stuff

DIANA
Why's he working here?

TRISTIAN
Dan's got something going with the local Rcmp, he lets kids work for him who are on parole, sort of like a release program

DIANA
Dan sounds like a great guy

TRISTIAN
He is

DIANA
Tell Dan the Salmon was great, is there a place around I can stay until my car is fixed?

TRISTIAN
Sure, there is a bed and breakfast down the road, it's a bit of a walk, but it's clean, you will like it, the owners name is Laura

DIANA
Great, besides I can use the walk, thanks Diana begins to exit, Tristian begins to clear off her dishes

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN, OF AZURE)

Diana stops and walks back towards Tristian

DIANA
Oh Tristian, here is my cell number call me, I need someone to show me the sights of Azure.

Diana smiles and exits the cafe leaving Tristian lost for words as he picks up the card

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DOUGLAS, DIANA, TRISTIAN, DAN)

Douglas notices the card from Diana in Tristian's hand.Seizing the opportunity to ridicule, Douglas snatches the card

DOUGLAS
(mocking)
What do we have here?

TRISTIAN
None of your business Doug

DOUGLAS
A phone number, are you going to call her? Please, it's probably fake

TRISTIAN
Maybe I will call her, besides, what is it to you?

DOUGLAS
Let me tell you, girls like that are nothing but teases

TRISTIAN
(getting angry)
Look! She is not like that!

DOUGLAS
(sarcastically)
Please, so assuming that is her real number, are you going to have the guts to ask her out on a date? Maybe a little dinner at the chicken shack, a moon lit drive in the trist mobile, then back to the garage for a little video game action and maybe she will give you a little..

DAN
(yelling out from the kitchen)
That's enough Doug! Get back to work!

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DAN, DOUGLAS)

Dan enters to brake up the confrontation

DAN
(angrily)
Douglas, I goddam' told you to blanche that box of chicken wings an hour ago! Get moving!

DOUGLAS
Easy old man, lo' Jax here is on it

DAN
Ol' Jax will be making his famous chili back in prison if he pulls his crap again!

DOUGLAS
Anything you say man, oh Tristian call me if you need me to entertain blondie for you

Douglas smirks and exits

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DAN, DOUGLAS, TRISTIAN)

Dan tells Tristian to try and forget about Douglas

DAN
Don't let him bother you, have fun, do not worry, you two are right for each other, I can tell

TRISTIAN
Thanks Dan

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. TRISTIAN'S LOFT - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian finishes the last reps of a bench press set, grabs a towel and makes his way over to the couch He picks up the cordless phone in one hand and the card given to him from Diana in the other.He nervously presses the power button on the phone and waits for the dial tone.Tristian is so nervous he takes so much time deciding to dial or not, a recorded message comes prompting him to dial a number or hang up

INT. TRISTIAN'S LOFT/DIANA'S MOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

SPLIT SCREEN SHOT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian finally works up the nerve to phone Diana and ask her out on a date.Diana accepts and the two talk at length about the nights plans.Split screen between Tristian's loft and Diana's motel room

Tristian dials the number.Two rings go by, upon the third ring Tristian begins to place the phone down.The sound of Diana's voice stops him

DIANA
(Out of breath walks out of the bathroom wearing a towel, answers the phone)
Hello?

TRISTIAN
(Nervously)
He-he-lo, Diana?

DIANA
Tristian! Hi!

TRISTIAN
Hi, um, I called to find out if you where serious about wanting me to show you around the town

DIANA
Absolutely, where are we going?

TRISTIAN
There's this restaurant in Morrisville, a couple of kilometres from here, it's called the Pegasus.They have a great menu, then I thought we could come back into town and catch the late showing at the drive in

DIANA
Sounds great what's showing?

TRISTIAN
Every Sunday night is classic movie night, tonight their showing an old Jeanette MacDonald, Maurice Chevalier movie, sorry it's not Titanic

DIANA
You kidding, I love Jeanette MacDonald, I studied her work in a film lit class in college.I fell in love with her films, what time are you going to pick me up?

TRISTIAN
Eight o'clock?

DIANA
Great! I'm staying at the bed and breakfast you told me about, Laura says you are a real sweet guy buy the way, anyway see you at eight, bye

Diana places the phone down, smiles and begins to dry her long blonde hair

TRISTIAN
Bye

Tristian removes his sweat stained shirt and walks into the bathroom

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

EXT. DIANA'S MOTEL ROOM - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian neatly attired in a pair of Gabardine slacks and wool pull over walks up to Diana's motel room door and knocks Diana answers wearing a bright blue dress that shows off her curves, tastefully.Tristian is taken a little back

DIANA
Hi, I'm ready to go, are you?

TRISTIAN
(Trying not stare)
Great

DIANA
Do you think this dress is a little too much for where we are going?

TRISTIAN
No, you look great

EXT. MOTEL PARKING LOT - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian leads Diana to the passenger side of his car and opens the door for her

TRISTIAN
Sorry it's a little beat up, but it is all I can afford right now, I'm saving up to go to college in Calgary

DIANA
Don't worry, you should have seen my first car, a seventy nine Nova, it had no go, at least this runs Tristian smiles some what reassured.He holds the door open while Diana climbs in

INT. TRISTIAN'S CAR - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian and Diana drive down the scenic highway towards the restaurant

DIANA
So what are you going to study at college?

TRISTIAN
Business, I've been taking a few correspondence courses to improve my chances of getting in.I hope to get into advertising, that's if I ever get the time or money

DIANA
You say it like it will never happen, what's wrong?

TRISTIAN
My dad left a while ago, leaving my mom who was having problems with alcohol to raise myself and my younger brother and sister.My mom is doing okay, she works down at the hydro company and Kevin works down at the mall as a security guard and Lillie is still in school and wants to get into fashion design.Its tough, we all chip in as much as we can, but it's tough

DIANA
Sounds like your a great son who likes to help others, but how are you helping yourself?

TRISTIAN
Kevin should get a scholarship next year, so that should ease the burden

DIANA
You have brains Tristian, do not waist them

Diana places a hand on Tristian's shoulder as a show of support

INT. TRISTIAN'S CAR - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN, DIANA)

Tristian steers the conversation towards Diana's career as they continue their drive

TRISTIAN
So what is it like being a talent scout for the Flames?

DIANA
It's not all glamour, believe me, I'm the only female and some of the guys can be real pigs, but most of the guys are real nice and look out for me

TRISTIAN
It must be rough being on the road so much?

DIANA
Sure, but it's all worth it, I get to meet a lot of great people, like you

TRISTIAN
What about your family, what do they do?

DIANA
Let's see, Dad is enjoying his retirement from the Calgary police department, two of my brothers are on the force and the third wants to get into forensic science when he is finished his training

TRISTIAN
Wow, you must of been the most popular girl growing up

DIANA
Are you kidding? No boy wanted to date me and the girls used to beat the crap out of me

TRISTIAN
So what did you do?

DIANA
I started going to Karate classes with my brothers where I felt at home.The teacher treated me no different than the guys, I took a lot of punishment, but it was worth it.Now if some guy wants to be a pig, I realize it is because he's insecure.Besides, I also have a black belt.
(laugh)

TRISTIAN
Wouldn't want to mess with you

DIANA
But, around you Tristian I feel I can just be a girl, you are honest with your emotions, no pretentious bull shit

TRISTIAN
I guess it was because I was raised by my mother

DIANA
She taught you well, you can cook, your smart and sensitive, but your no mamas boy, I see what some of the other guys in town are like.Your different, I feel safe with you

TRISTIAN
(Shyly)
Thanks, oh we are here!

DIANA
Great

INT. PEGASUS PUB AND DINER - NIGHT
(CYNTHIA, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian and Diana walk confidently past a table of rough looking guys who great Diana with a round of whistles and cat calls.Diana smiles at Tristian and squeezes his hand as to say he's with me.They are greeted by CYNTHIA

CYNTHIA
Hi Tristian,
(whispering to Tristian)
Wow nice work

TRISTIAN
Diana, I would like for you to meet Cynthia an old friend

DIANA
Nice to meet you

CYNTHIA
I dated Tristian's Dad for a while, after he broke up with his Mom, how is she Tristian?

TRISTIAN
Great, has dad been in lately?

CYNTHIA
Every couple of months when he's in town, I tell him to visit you, but he finds it tough, he still loves you, I hope you realize that

TRISTIAN
I know, anyway Cynthia, give me your best seat in the house

CYNTHIA
(In a cheesy French accent)
Messieurs, Madam, this way
(giggling)

INT. PEGASUS - NIGHT
(CYNTHIA, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Diana and Tristian seat themselves at a table for two in the centre of the restaurant and are handed menus by Cynthia

CYNTHIA
I'll give you two a minute

TRISTIAN
Thanks

Cynthia smiles and exits

DIANA
So how many of Azure's women have you swept off their feet here?

TRISTIAN
(Boyishly)
Not many, I had a girl friend last winter, but she ran off to Kamloops with a trucker

DIANA
Her loss

TRISTIAN
How about you?

DIANA
I divorced last year

TRISTIAN
What happened, sorry, I did not mean to pry

DIANA
No problem, you have been open with me, I was married to Andre for three years, we met in Montreal, sweet guy, but he couldn't take the fact that I didn't need his money and I wasn't the type to sit at home and do nothing, so we split

TRISTIAN
What about now? Are you seeing any one?

DIANA
No, work keeps me busy, haven't got the time

INT. PEGASUS - NIGHT
(CYNTHIA, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Cynthia returns and interrupts the conversation

CYNTHIA
What will you two love birds have?

DIANA
I'll have the garden salad special, no onions

TRISTIAN
I'll have a steak, medium rare with mashed potatoes

CYNTHIA
Great, I'll tell Jim to pick out the biggest steak, you'll need your energy

TRISTIAN
Thanks Cynthia

Motioning with his eyes for Cynthia to leave, Cynthia exits

CUT TO:

INT. PEGASUS - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian and Diana finish their meal and enjoy a drink.Tristian takes the last sip of a small beer, while Diana sips a small glass of wine.Diana stops in mid sip to take notice of a slow song that begins to play on the juke box

DIANA
Blue eyes shining in the rain, I love this song, lets dance

TRISTIAN
(Hesitant)
I can't dance

DIANA
Oh sure you can, come on, I'm not taking no for an answer Diana grabs Tristian forcibly by the arm and pulls him out of his seat

EXT. DANCE FLOOR - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian holds Diana at a distance, awkwardly trying to dance.Diana pulls Tristian closer and begins to lead.The pair are surrounded by several other couples, clothed in jeans and western wear in contrast with the blue dress and dress casual clothes Diana and Tristian are wearing.The two are oblivious of the attention they are receiving.

The eye follows around Diana and Tristian slowly as they dance in an endless flow in fairy tale fashion.The soft lighting over the dance floor extenuates the mood of the moment.The couple stair deeply into each others eyes

INT. DANCE FLOOR - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

The song ends, Tristian and Diana step back and savour the moment.The rest of the couples acknowledge the spark between them and clap in appreciation.Tristian and Diana acknowledge humbly and step off the dance floor

DIANA
I though you said you couldn't dance?

TRISTIAN
I had a great teacher, it's twelve o'clock already, the late feature is about to start, do you still want to go?

DIANA
Take me to your carriage

INT. PEGASUS - NIGHT
(CYNTHIA, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian and Diana walk up to Cynthia to pay their bill

CYNTHIA
I see you two where the bells of the ball

TRISTIAN
We had a great time
(Tristian hands three twenties to Cynthia)

DIANA
Diner was great, here
(Diana hands Cynthia another twenty)
I always pay my own way, here call it a tip

CYNTHIA
Where did you find her?

TRISTIAN
(Gazing into Diana's eyes)
I think she fell from the sky

DIANA
Ah blech! Don't get mushy on me now Tristian and Diana laugh as they exit

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

EXT. DRIVE IN - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN)

Tristian settles the car into a spot near the front of the sparely populated drive in.The movies beginning credits begin to roll, "One hour with you"

"Starring"

"Jeanette Macdonald"

"And"

"Maurice Chevalier"

INT. TRISTIAN'S CAR-DRIVE IN - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

DIANA
I love this movie, I saw the original French version in a Montreal theatre, did you know that MacDonald and Chevalier did their own French dub?

TRISTIAN
No, I didn't know that, Montreal must be a great city to live in

DIANA
Sorry, I didn't mean to mention Montreal again, besides, I'm sure you've visited many places

TRISTIAN
Sure, my favourite place has to be Edmonton, mom used to take us up there to the big mall, I remember getting sick on the ferris wheel

DIANA
You are lucky my Dad didn't believe in taking time off, he believed vacations were for lazy people

TRISTIAN
You said your dad retired, wouldn't he have been a little young to do so?

DIANA
He started on the force right out of high school, after forty years on the force he decided to give it another year and then call it quits

TRISTIAN
You say it like he was unhappy with the force

DIANA
Not at all, he loved it, he retired after being stabbed in the chest

TRISTIAN
Stabbed?

DIANA
Five years ago, six months before he was going to retire, he responded to a fight outside a club, he broke up two guys fighting when another guy came up from behind him and stabbed him in the chest, dad almost died on the operating table.

TRISTIAN
Sorry

DIANA
Don't be, dad just says it's part of being a cop, great the movies starting

Diana settles into Tristian's arms as the movie starts

INT. DRIVE IN - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN, DIANA)

In the movie, the big dance number begins.Jeanette MacDonald's character dances with the friend of Chevaliers character And Re. Colette (MacDonald) and Adolph dance around the floor while Andre dances with Collette's best friend Mitzi

TRISTIAN
I love this next part, Mitzi persuades Colette that another women has her eyes on And Re

DIANA
Right, then Andre runs off with Mitzi, when Colette can't find him she collapses

TRISTIAN
Adolph consoles her and mistakes her friendly kiss for something else and then Mitzi's husband finds out about her affair and divorces her, oh sorry, I forgot

DIANA
Hey no problem, it was not like that at all, my ~Andre never cheated on me

TRISTIAN
He would have been sorry if he did

INT. DRIVE IN - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian and Diana embrace as they watch the movies end credits roll and the title song "One Hour With You" begins to play.The two become oblivious to their surroundings as the lot quickly empties Diana lifts her head off Tristian's shoulder to notice that he is deep in thought

DIANA
What are you thinking?

TRISTIAN
I'm beginning to wonder if there is something to the idea of fate, I mean maybe it was meant for your car to break down here in tiny Azure

DIANA
Please fate nothing, this isn't Romeo and Juliet, give yourself some credit, your smart, handsome and completely open minded.Look the car broke down, we met, we connected, that's all there is to it

TRISTIAN
So what happens when your car is fixed? I can't leave Azure, you will go back to your job and I'll go back to the diner, then what?

DIANA
Hey, this isn't a one night stand, I care about you, when you are ready, come down to Calgary

TRISTIAN
That could be six months, a year, maybe never, I don't expect you to wait

DIANA
Look Tristian, Azure is not on the far side of the moon, we will see each other as often as possible, we will work this out Diana and Tristian kiss and embrace in the backdrop of a rare blue moon

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

EXT. DRIVE IN - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Dawn breaks to find Tristian and Diana still sitting in the empty drive in lot.Diana and Tristian awake wrapped in a blanket in embrace.The two realize the time and quickly adjust their clothing

TRISTIAN
God, I've got to be at work in an hour

DIANA
(Laughing)
Lets go and give them something to talk about

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Diana says good bye to Tristian in the door way of the cafe

DIANA
I'm going to see how my cars doing and then send some faxes, I'll see you later Diana kisses Tristian

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DOUGLAS, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Douglas interrupts and steps between Tristian and Diana

DOUGLAS
So did little Tristian get laid, was it your first time

DIANA
You are such an ass Doug

DOUGLAS
If you are interested in a man let me know

DIANA
When you become a man, let me know

TRISTIAN
See you later Diana Tristian gives Douglas a dirty look and exits

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DOUGLAS, DIANA)

Douglas and Diana have a brief stand off in the door way of the cafe

DIANA
See you later Tristian, lover! And as for you jag-off, remember I still have friends on the police department

DOUGLAS
And I have friends too

Douglas' sneer is met by mild contempt from Diana as she turns and exits

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE-NIGHT
(DAN, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

The Blue Moon Cafe is packed this night with truckers and tough looking types.One table is full of Doug's rowdy friends in from British Columbia.Tristian stays late to help out but is obvious anxious to leave for a date with Diana.Tristian frequently glances over to the end of the bar at Diana who is talking to Dan Doug picks up two pitchers of beer from the bar and carries them over too his friends to a chorus of "Jax Jax"

Dan notices Tristian's attention on Diana and smiles in encouragement

DAN
Thanks kid for staying late, Doug never mentioned his logging camp buddies were in town

TRISTIAN
No problem Dan

DAN
You've been seeing a lot of Diana, are you two serious?

TRISTIAN
Hope so

DAN
I know that look, get out of here

TRISTIAN
You sure? I can stay

DAN
Why? Doug' buddies? Look there is plenty of bite left in this old dog, now go on, and don't be late tomorrow!
(laughing)

TRISTIAN
(Quickly removes his apron)
Thanks Dan! I owe you one!

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian comes around the bar and meets Diana

TRISTIAN
Ready to go?

DIANA
Sure The two pass by the table of Doug and his friends as they leave

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN, THUG #1, DOUGLAS)

Doug sits down with his buddies (THUG #1 and #2) and stairs intensely at Tristian and Diana trough the cafe window as they talk in the parking lot

THUG #1
What does a fox like that see in that puke

DOUGLAS
She is just a tease
(Doug gives a look to his buddy,)

His buddy returns the look with a sick grin.Doug's buddy and a second one sitting at the table finish their drinks, get up and head out of the cafe

EXT. BLUE MOON CAFE-PARKING LOT - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN, THUG #1, DAN)

Diana and Tristian discuss the nights plans outside the Blue moon Cafe but are interrupted by the two thugs from inside

DIANA
So where are we going tonight?

THUG #1
(Entering)
Yea, Tristian where are you taking her?

TRISTIAN
What is to you?

DIANA
Ignore him, anyway, hey I know this club an hour from here, great music, want to go?

TRISTIAN
Sure

THUG #1
(Becoming annoyed)
Hey honey, why don't you ditch this loser and dance for us?

DIANA
I would rather swallow live bugs ass hole

THUG #1
I'll give you something to swallow!

Thug #1 grabs Diana's hand and tries to place it on his crotch Diana knees him in the groin

THUG #1
(Hurt)
You bitch!
(Motioning to Thug #2)
Grab him!

Thug #2 grabs Tristian from behind Thug #1 pushes Diana against the hood of Tristian's car and forces himself on her

THUG #1
Come on bitch, show me what you have been giving this wimp!

TRISTIAN
(Struggling)
Leave her alone!

THUG #1
You will learn to keep your mouth shut puke!

Thug #1 slides his hand down Diana's dress and attempts to lift her dress.Diana struggles

DAN
(Wields a baseball bat slamming it into Thug #1 back knocking him out)

EXT. BLUE MOON CAFE-PARKING LOT - NIGHT
(DAN, DIANA, TRISTIAN, YES)

Diana shoves her attacker off her and looks up at Dan standing with a baseball bat ready to strike again

DAN
You all right?

DIANA
(Straitening her dress)
Yes
(Diana looks over Dan's shoulder towards Tristian still being held by Thug #2)
Let him go!

DAN
(Pointing the bat towards Thug #2)
You heard her! Let him go or I will spatter your brains across this parking lot

Thug #2 tightens his grip around Tristian's throat in an act of defiance The sounds of police sirens shake the intensity of the situation

EXT. BLUE MOON CAFE-PARKING LOT - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Two RCMP cruisers squeal into the parking lot Thug #2 releases Tristian and tries to make a run for it Tristian drops to the ground gasping for air Diana runs to his aid

DIANA
(Crying)
Tristian are you all right? I'm sorry!

TRISTIAN
(Gasping for air)
Yes, I'm fine, you okay? Did that pig touch you!

DIANA
I am fine

The two embrace

EXT. BLUE MOON CAFE-PARKING LOT - NIGHT
(RCMP OFFICER #1, DAN, THUG #1)

Two RCMP OFFICERs (#1 and JAKE) rush out of their cruisers)

RCMP OFFICER #1
(Entering with Thug #2 in handcuffs)
I caught this guy running sir

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
(Addressing Dan)
Dan what's going on?

DAN
This punk and that one over their tried to attack my friends here, Tristian and Diana

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
(To his partner)
Get him out of here, I'll call someone to get the other guy

RCMP Officer #1 grabs Thug #1 off the ground and cuffs him

RCMP OFFICER #1
Lets go punk!

RCMP Officer #2 re-enters and takes Thug #1)

RCMP OFFICER #1
(Into his radio)
Send a squad car to the Blue Moon Cafe, a suspect waiting for transport
(Talking to RCMP Officer #2)
Put him in my car until they get here, I'll get their statements

EXT. BLUE MOON CAFE-PARKING LOT - NIGHT
(DAN, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian and Diana rise to their feet and are consoled by Dan.RCMP Officer #2 takes out his book and joins the group

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
(Smiling)
Still got the swing he, Dan?

TRISTIAN
What's he mean?

DAN
Before I bought this bar, me and old Jake here where partners.We played on the same softball team

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
Ten years together, what was it they called us?

DAN
The bear and the snake, no one got away from us

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
We seen it all, how have you been you old dog

DAN
Fine, after being shot I decided to put my cooking skills to use and bought this place

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
You did great, this place used to be a real dive, gangs, bikers, the works, how did you do it?

DAN
I had plenty of help from great friends

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
Anyway, lets go inside and I'll get your statement

DAN
Sure coffees on me for a change

EXT. BLUE MOON CAFE-PARKING LOT - NIGHT
(DAN, TRISTIAN, DIANA)

Jake and Dan begin to walk away

DAN
(Turning to Tristian and Diana)
Look I know what happened, you two get out of here and enjoy the rest of the evening

TRISTIAN
Thanks a lot Dan

DAN
Now get out of here

The two parties begin to split up, Jake stops as if he remembers something and turn back toward Diana

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
I just remembered who you remind me of, are you related to Ted Slater?

DIANA
He's my Dad, did you know him?

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
Lets see, it had to be, eighteen years ago, you wouldn't have been more than two, you wouldn't remember me but I was a beat cop in Calgary, your Dad and me worked out of the same precinct, haven't seen him since I moved up here to join the RCMP, how is he doing?

DIANA
He's okay, enjoying retirement after the attack

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
I heard about that, I'm glad he is doing okay, it was nice meeting you Diana, you did your dad proud, you take it easy Tristian

DIANA
Nice meeting you Jake

TRISTIAN
Thanks

The two parties depart

INT. TRISTIAN'S CAR - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN, DIANA)

TRISTIAN
I'll drop you off at your hotel room

DIANA
No, let's go back to your apartment, I haven't seen it yet, besides I don't want to be alone tonight

TRISTIAN
Okay Tristian starts up the car and the two drive off

EXT. TRISTIAN'S LOFT-DRIVEWAY - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN, SURE)

Tristian and Diana drive up to the loft, exit the car and walk to the bottom of the steps

DIANA
I called the mechanic, they say my cars going to be ready tomorrow

TRISTIAN
I guess your anxious to leave Azure?

DIANA
It hasn't been all bad, I met some great friends, and you

TRISTIAN
What about us?

DIANA
The Flames go on a road trip starting in Edmonton next week, why don't you come along? My treat

TRISTIAN
I can't leave Dan with just Doug, not after tonight

DIANA
Let's go up stairs, tomorrow I'll make a few calls and we will discuss it

TRISTIAN
(Smiling)
Sure
(Diana gives Tristian a quick kiss and the two ascend the steps)

INT. TRISTIAN'S LOFT - NIGHT
(TRISTIAN, NEARBY TABLE, DIANA)

Tristian unlocks the door and flicks on the light switch, a cat jumps down off a nearby table. Diana kneels down to pet the Persian which proceeds to jump into her arms

DIANA
(Laughing)
Whoa! I guess that means he likes me, what's his name?

TRISTIAN
Cyrus, named after a king of Persia from the bible

DIANA
(Talking to the cat)
Well Cyrus, you are not the only king in the house
(Diana releases the cat)

INT. TRISTIAN'S LOFT - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Diana steps into the loft and Tristian shuts the door.Diana notices many books neatly stacked on a book shelf

DIANA
Chaucer, Dumas, Dante
(Turning towards Tristian)
You've read all these?

TRISTIAN
I love to read, I find it relaxing

DIANA
You are a smart guy, why don't you go to college?

TRISTIAN
My mom needs a lot of help right now

DIANA
(Grabs Tristian by the hand)
You have got to start thinking about your self.Dan will find someone else, I can get your mom a job in promotions, she wouldn't even have to leave Azure, Tristian, it's time for you to do things you want to do

TRISTIAN
You are right thanks

Tristian and Diana embrace

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. TRISTIAN'S APARTMENT - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Diana awakes and puts on her dress from the evening before.Tristian awakes and stairs deeply at Diana

DIANA
Morning, are you ready to start your new life?

TRISTIAN
(Hesitant)
Yes, I think so

DIANA
(Trying to reassure)
Don't worry, when we come back from the road trip, we will pack up here, pay your landlord and we will be off to Calgary

TRISTIAN
(With a look of relief and trepidation)
I've been in Azure all my life, this is all I know

DIANA
Look, you are not changing your mind, Calgary is not on the moon, you are making the right choice, a choice for you

TRISTIAN
You are right

DIANA
Now get up or you will be late for work Tristian sits up and pulls on a sweat shirt

INT. TRISTIAN'S CAR-OUTSIDE THE BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Diana and Tristian pull up in front of the diner

DIANA
I'll pick up the car, call head office and then I'll meet you back at the diner around five, okay?

TRISTIAN
Sure, I'll cook you your last Blue Moon diner meal

DIANA
And I'm sure your best, bye The two kiss and Diana exits toward the auto mechanics

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(TRISTIAN, DOUGLAS, DAN)

Tristian walks through the door and is greeted by Doug

DOUGLAS
It's not over between you and me punk Dan enters to intervene

DAN
I told you to leave Doug, I mean now!

DOUGLAS
(Turning to Dan to get in the last word)
I don't need to work in this crap hole town! I can make five times as much as you pay me in one day out in Bc!

DAN
Good leave

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(TRISTIAN, DOUGLAS)

Doug brushes past Tristian and stops a few feet into the parking lot to get in one last barb in at Tristian

DOUGLAS
Hey Tristy, don't get any ideas about you and that girl of yours, your just a toy to her

TRISTIAN
Doug, Abe Lincoln once said, it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than speak out and remove all doubt, get the point

DOUGLAS
What point?

TRISTIAN
Shut your damn mouth Doug walks over to his motor cycle and climbs on The two combatants have a brief stare down before Doug rides off

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DAN, TRISTIAN, CYNTHIA)

Dan puts his arm around Tristian in a show of friendship

DAN
Finally I'm rid of Doug and his idiot friends, I'm sorry about last night

TRISTIAN
Don't worry about it, but I have some bad news to tell you

DAN
Shoot, I can take it

TRISTIAN
I'm leaving today to live with Diana in Calgary, look I'll help you find someone

DAN
(Smiling)
I thought you were going to tell me you two broke up or something, way to go kid, don't worry about me, I'm not alone here

TRISTIAN
What do you mean? You already hired someone?

Cynthia enters the cafe

CYNTHIA
Hey Dan I'm here

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(CYNTHIA, DAN, TRISTIAN)

Cynthia steps into the diner and greets Dan and Tristian

DAN
Hey Cynthia, I didn't expect you until this afternoon

CYNTHIA
I got your proposal this morning and I came to say yes

TRISTIAN
What proposal? You two know each other?

CYNTHIA
Dan was regular at the pub when he was on the police force, I ran an accounting business on the side

DAN
Cynthia used to do my taxes, that is how we met

CYNTHIA
And that is why I am here

TRISTIAN
What do you mean?

DAN
I've had plans to turn this place into a bed and breakfast for years, even had blue prints drawn up, but I didn't have the capital, then I got thinking about Cynthia

CYNTHIA
And here I am, these plans are great, the way I see it, if I invest thirty thousand and restructure your finances, that should give us about, one hundred thousand towards start up costs

DAN
See Tristian, what did I tell you, you have nothing to worry about, enjoy Calgary

TRISTIAN
Thanks Dan, I have another favour to ask, I need an hour to take care of something

DAN
Sure, it is slow get out of here

TRISTIAN
Thanks

Tristian exits

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE-FIVE PM - DAY
(CYNTHIA, DAN, TRISTIAN)

Dan, Cynthia sit in a corner booth reading through a stack of paperwork.Meanwhile Tristian removes the dirty dishes from a customer who pays and exits.Diana pulls up in front and honks her horn, which catches everyone's attention

DAN
Looks like your chariot awaits Tristian Diana enters and walks over and sits in front of Tristian

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(DIANA, DAN, CYNTHIA, TRISTIAN)

DIANA
Hi,
(Gives Tristian a kiss)

HI, DAN

DAN
Hi Diana, I would like you too meet Cynthia

DIANA
Hi Cynthia! We met the other night!

DAN
Cynthia's my new business partner

CYNTHIA
That is right, soon to be the one third owner of the new Blue Moon Inn

DIANA
Myself and Tristian will have to come back for the grand opening

DAN
The best room in the house will be waiting

TRISTIAN
Thanks Dan

DAN
Tristian, you have flipped your last burger, bring a bottle of wine over and some glasses, I'm closing early to celebrate

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - DAY
(CYNTHIA, DAN, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian walks over to the booth carrying a bottle of wine and four glasses.Dan clears the table of the paperwork Diana takes two glasses from tristian and places them in front of Cynthia and Dan

Tristian places a glass in front of Diana and the last in front of himself, then proceeds to pour wine into each, then sits down and toasts the group

DAN
Tonight is a special night.One filled with mixed emotions.On one hand, I am losing someone who has been like a son to me, on the other hand I am gaining a new friend and a business partner.
(Toasting the group)
Tonight is the end of life at the Blue Moon, but like winter turning to spring, life will be reborn.From stagnant water a great river shall flow once again
(Toasting Cynthia, then Tristian)
My self and Cynthia are about to embark on a plan that will challenge us like nothing ever has, but we will make it through.To you Tristian, when you first walked in here five years ago, you where a tall skinny kid with long greasy hair, but I knew you where going places, you have a head on your shoulders
(Toasting Tristian then Diana)
All it took was someone to point you in the right direction.That someone was you Diana, headstrong, ambitious, you two are so evenly matched, thank you for seeing the diamond through the mire.Lets drink to a new beginning The four raise their glasses

DIANA
To a new beginning

CYNTHIA
Here, here

INT. BLUE MOON CAFE - NIGHT
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

The night continues and finally Tristian works up the courage and proposes to Diana

TRISTIAN
(Tristian sips his drink and turns to Diana)
I'm not sure if this is just the effects of the full moon or the wine, but here goes.
(Clearing his throat)
Diana, I've only known you for a short time, but, there comes a time in every mans life when he knows he has met the right women, I know I have, so, Diana Slater, will you marry me Tristian pulls a small diamond ring from his pocket

DIANA
(Diana begins to cry in happiness)
Yes

TRISTIAN
The ring was the ring my father gave to my mother, she gave it to me after he left, I talked to her this morning about the job offer, she would be glad to take it, I asked for her blessing and she gives you her love and welcomes you to the family

DIANA
I don't know what to say, except, damn, I love you The two embrace passionately to the claps and ahs of Dan and Cynthia

EXT. BLUE MOON CAFE-PARKING LOT - NIGHT
(CYNTHIA, DAN, DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Dan, Cynthia, Tristian and Diana sat their goodbyes

DAN
Congratulations you two

TRISTIAN
Thanks I have one last favour, Diana's father will not be able to attend the wedding, Dan would you give Diana away

DAN
Christ of course, I would do anything to see you happy, Diana, I hope I make a good substitute

DIANA
You will do fine

Dan hugs Diana and then Tristian

EXT. BLUE MOON-PARKING LOT - NIGHT
(CYNTHIA, DIANA, TRISTIAN, DAN)

Diana and Tristian prepare to drive off in Diana's car.Dan and Cynthia stand in the door way of the cafe

DIANA
Well I guess this is goodbye, the wedding won't be until after the season is over, Dan thank you again, Cynthia, I look forward to seeing you at the wedding

TRISTIAN
Oh, Cynthia will you ask my Dad to come to the wedding

CYNTHIA
I'll try

TRISTIAN
Thanks

DIANA
Well we have got a long drive ahead of us, we will keep in touch

Diana pulls the car out of the lot and

Speeds down the highway, honking her horn Dan and Cynthia watch until the car is out of sight and then turn into the cafe

EXT. BLUE MOON CAFE-PARKING LOT - NIGHT
(CYNTHIA, DAN)

Dan and Cynthia enter the cafe and close the door Dan walks over to the window and lowers the blinds and reaches for the switch for the sign

The neon sign "The Blue Moon Cafe" flickers and dims for the last time

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(CYNTHIA, DAN, DIANA, KEVIN, TRISTIAN)

A small church in Calgary Diana and Tristian's wedding day.The church is filled to capacity with friends and love ones of both parties On one side Tristian's mom and sister sit in the front pew.On the other side Diana's mother sits with Jake, Dan and Cynthia At the front Tristian stands nervously beside Kevin on the other side, Diana's maid of honour.

The wedding march starts and everyone looks back

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Tristian watches anxiously as Diana makes her gracious entrance down the aisle

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(DIANA)

Diana walks down the isle in a white wedding gown with a long train.Some guests are over come with emotion, others look on in pride

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN)

Diana comes to the alter and hands off her bouquet of roses to her brides maid and takes her position next to Tristian

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(DIANA, MINISTER, TRISTIAN)

Tristian and Diana stand in front of the MINISTER

MINISTER
We are gathered here today, in the name of the lord, our father Jesus Christ, to witness this union between Tristian Aaron Ainsley and Diana Catherine Slater.If any one objects to this union, please speak now or for ever hold your peace

A long pause ensues until the doors of the church open and everyone looks back

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(PAUL)

Paul enters.The crowd murmurs and watches him in anticipation

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(KEVIN, TRISTIAN)

Kevin looks at Tristian, then back at his mom and sister Tristian is so transfixed on his father he doesn't hear Kevin

KEVIN
(Whispering)
What is he doing here?

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(PAUL)

Paul already embarrassed by his lateness, is concerned about how his presence with be perceived. He stops half way down the isle to apologize

PAUL
Sorry for being late Tristian, I hope I'm welcome?

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(TRISTIAN, PAUL, MAUREEN)

Tristian shows a sign that he has come to some sense of forgiveness towards his father

TRISTIAN
No problem, thanks for coming, would you mind standing next to mom, it would mean a lot

PAUL
Sure

Paul proceeds down the isle and stands next to Maureen. The two exchange nervously smiles

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(MINISTER, TRISTIAN, KEVIN, DIANA)

The minister tries to regain control of the ceremony

MINISTER
Shall we continue?

TRISTIAN
Yes

MINISTER
May I have the rings?

Kevin and Diana's bridesmaid place two gold bands in the hands of the minister

MINISTER
I bless these rings in the name of the father and the holy ghost, Tristian will you place the ring on Diana's hand?

Diana holds her hand out as Tristian takes her ring from the ministers hand and places it on Diana's finger

MINISTER
Diana will you place this ring on Tristian's hand?

Tristian holds his hand out as Diana takes the remaining ring from the ministers hand and places it on Tristian's finger

MINISTER
Will you both repeat after me, with this ring I promise to love, honour and cherish

TRISTIAN AND DIANA
With this ring I promise to love, honour and cherish

MINISTER
With the powers invested in me, I now announce you husband and wife, you may kiss bride

Tristian lifts Diana's veil and kisses her long and passionately The crowd stands and claps

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(KEVIN, LILLIE, MAUREEN, PAUL)

Paul and Maureen look at each other nervously and at the prompting of Lillie the two hug .Paul hugs Lillie Kevin walks over and extends his hand to Paul.Paul nervously accepts and the two shake hands

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(TRISTIAN, PAUL)

The Ainsley family walk over to the Slater family and begin to introduce themselves.Tristian interrupts and pulls his father aside

TRISTIAN
Thanks dad, I knew it would be tough for you to come here, all that went on with you and mom

PAUL
When Cynthia told me you where getting married, floored me, honestly, look at you, you look great, you have brought pride to the Ainsley family, something I couldn't

TRISTIAN
Look dad I don't hate you for walking out, it is just tough

PAUL
I understand, here Paul removes an envelope from his inner pocket and hands it to Tristian. Tristian opens the envelope and takes out a check for a thousand dollars

TRISTIAN
You did not have too

PAUL
Sales have been good this year, this doesn't make up for being a rotten father, but I wish you and your new bride the best

TRISTIAN
Thanks, I'll get back up to visit, I promise

PAUL
Look, I have got to go, say goodbye to your mother for me Paul hesitates and then hugs Tristian, choking back his tears, Paul exits

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(DIANA, TRISTIAN, MAUREEN, VOICE OF TED)

Tristian walks back to Diana who gives him a look of admiration.The Ainsley and Slater parties continue their greetings

MAUREEN
I would like to formally welcome Diana into the Ainsley family and look forward to having her as a daughter in-law as well as a co-worker of sort, as of the new season I will be part of the Calgary Flames organization, working as a promotions assistant, thank you Diana for the recommendation

Clapping ensues from the gathered

DIANA
Thank you Maureen, on behalf of the Slater family, I welcome the opportunity to getting to know all of you better.Tristian has given me great insight into the characters that make up the Ainsley family.Heart, determination and strength are all adjectives that fit together to describe you all.I wish this union of these two families all the best Jake's cell phone goes off. Jake's tries not to let on that it was intentional

RCMP OFFICER #2/JAKE
Sorry honey,
(answering)
Hello? Oh hi Ted, how are you doing, sure, she is right here Jake hands the phone to Diana

DIANA
Hi daddy, sure,
(addressing the crowd)
Dad wants to say something Diana holds up the phone so everyone can hear her dad TED

VOICE OF TED
Firstly, I would like to congratulate Tristian, welcome son, secondly, to the rest of the Ainsley family, I look forward to many years of happy memories together

TRISTIAN
(Taking the phone)
Thank you sir, okay Ted, bye now
(click)

Tristian shakes Jake's hand

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(DIANA, CYNTHIA, LILLIE)

DIANA
And now to uphold a great tradition, I would like to ask all the single women to gather at the front of the church to catch the bouquet

Lillie and Cynthia join others from the crowd to join a semi circle around Diana. Diana turns and tosses the bouquet.The bouquet lands in the hands of Cynthia The crowd claps

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(CYNTHIA, DAN)

Cynthia looks over at Dan.Dan looks embarrassed as he is being ribbed by

TRISTIAN

INT. CHURCH - DAY
(TRISTIAN)

A party atmosphere takes over the church as the guests file out to begin the nights celebration.The two families and friends remain to continue their welcoming As the narration continues shots of the various characters accompany

TRISTIAN
As I watch this day end, a thought comes to mind.The great Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu wrote, "A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step".My journey started one August day eighteen years ago That night a rare blue moon shone in the sky, my mother later told me she believed the moon shaped my destiny.I don't believe much in fate, I believe we all control our own destiny.
Mom through hard work, beat alcoholism and turned her life around, Dad is the top salesman three years running in Western Canada and will never give up his dream of being an inventor Lillie, she's all grown up, she designed and made the dress she's wearing, I'm surprised, I thought she would wear the dress that got her into design college, it was maid out of garbage bags.That is modern art for you Speaking of art, Kevin is happily employed in a graphic design studio, he is currently working on a series of posters for Playboy Dan and Cynthia opened their new bed and breakfast a month ago, they renamed it the Azure Blue Moon Bed and Breakfast, the change was appropriate, I see their relationship deepening like the colour of the skies around here As this chapter of my life concludes and a new one begins, I can not help think, what if Diana's car had not broke down in Azure, what if in a twist of fate, she had kept on driving, where would my journey have led me.Maybe it was fate

FADE OUT.

THE END

No comments: